Sunday, August 31, 2014

An Ode to Kimchi

OMG, did I really make that my title? "An ode to kimchi"? Really?

This week's blog features lots of kimchi! I used the regular red cabbage kimchi. I think it's the most common kimchi, and the stuff people think of when they think of kimchi.

Step one: cut open the kimchi bag. Having kimchi sauce spray all over your shirt is optional. (Kimchi tends to build up pressure in the fridge. Oh, fermented foods. I'll miss that shirt.)

Step two: cut the kimchi into big bite sized pieces. Korean people have introduced me to the wonder of scissors in the kitchen. For times like kimchi or chicken breast or anything stir fry, scissors are just easier.

Step 3: make yummy food and enjoy!

Kimchi pork burgers. I hand smooshed them. Also, green onion, salt, red pepper powder. I didn't use egg or breadcrumbs or cornstarch or anything. If you work the crap out of them with your hands, they don't fall apart on the grill.

Bread's not my thing. I do love a good flour tortilla. Add lettuce and mustard and you've got an awesome concoction.
Fun fact, Kait and I both agreed that beef would've been better, but it's too expensive. Ground pork for four burgers: $4. Ground beef for four burgers: $15. 

I also made kimchi fried rice.

Fry to kimchi. Add rice, kimchi sauce, gochujang, and fry for a bit longer. When it's ready, turn off the heat and add sesame seeds and green onion.

Meh. The gochujang is too thick and salty. Next time id use spicy peppers, a little soy sauce and make my own sauce. Maybe a pinch of korean cooking wine.

All in all, it was pretty yummy.  


I found these "Copa di vino" things at Kim's club! One glass of wine for $3. It's nice to have for a fancy Saturday dinner, and easy! The wine is decent for cheap stuff.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment