Monday, June 30, 2014

First creation: Fried kimchi and onions!

Welcome to my food blog!  Rather than just post photos to my facebook feed, I decided to make it a food blog.  I'll post recipes, ingredients, and thoughts.

Kimchi surprise, maybe?


My first creation was something of an experiment based on what I had in the fridge.  There's isn't much to this one ... I just dumped everything in the pan and fried it.

Ingredients: red kimchi, onions, red pepper powder, sesame seeds, and sesame oil.

I served it with rice and ICing, a grapefruit-flavored makgeolli beverage that's nice on hot summer nights.

What I would change:  I would add garlic and a tiny bit of salt.  I would saute the garlic and onions before hand so they were nice and lightly caramelized while the kimchi was warm and "al dente".  Finally, some chili oil would've made it more spicy, but you can always just dump gochujang (spicy red pepper paste) or tobasco sauce on top.

All in all, a great success!

A note on salt:  My wife and I don't really like a lot of salt.  Additionally, we figure that there's enough salt in the rest of the food we eat, so I don't use very much in my cooking.  That being said, I've found recently that omitting salt entirely is often not the right choice.  If you want to try any of my recipes, you may want to add more salt to your liking!

No comments:

Post a Comment